Subject: Re: What to do with a hp300/380?
To: None <jp@spektr.ludvika.se>
From: Steve Peurifoy <sp128@ibm.net>
List: port-hp300
Date: 02/07/1998 13:04:32
> Secondary Loader Revision 64.2 $
> Booting /hp-ux
>
> [here the system reads (or try to read) the kernel from disk for about 4
> seconds, then it says this:]
>
> UNEXPECTED USE OF FFFFFFC4
>

> So.. What do you think it could be? Hardware or software problem? Broken
> SCSI disk, bad memory or something completely different?

This is the output of one of a set of temporary, informational only,
exception handlers installed by the bootrom before an OS exists to
really handle exceptions.  The address printed varies depending on
the type of exception.  The most likely cause here is trying to boot
a kernel that is incompatible with the hardware.  You will get something
like this, for example, if you attempt to boot an HP-UX 7.0 or earlier
kernel on a 68040 machine (which requires at least 7.05).  If you're
going to install NetBSD, you probably don't need to worry about this
message.  It *could* indicate hardware trouble but I think it's unlikely.

> Can this beast netboot? I saw something about it needing at least rev C of
> the bootroms. It looks like I have rev 2.0? Will that rev allow me to
> netboot?

Yes.

> I tried to see if it would boot the HPUX install CD, but it wouldn't
> recognize the CDROM. Can't the 300 boot from CDROM?

I don't think the SCSI driver part of the bootrom accepts anything
other than type 0 (direct access) devices but I'm not certain.

-Steve