Subject: RE: What to do with a hp300/380?
To: Jorgen Pehrson <jp@spektr.ludvika.se>
From: Nathan Gelbard <gelbard@ENGR.ORST.EDU>
List: port-hp300
Date: 02/06/1998 12:25:32
On 06-Feb-98 Jorgen Pehrson wrote:
> Hi,
> I was just given an hp300/380 as it was about to be junked.
> How can I install NetBSD on it? When I try to boot it it says this:
>
> Copyright 1990,
> Hewlett-Packard Company.
> All Rights Reserved.
>
> BOOTROM Rev. 2.0  29 NOV 90
> Bit Mapped Video
> MC68040 Processor
> Configuration EEPROM
> HP-HIL.Keyboard
> HP-IB
> DMA-C0
> RAM 16776900 Bytes
> HP98644 (RS-232) at 9
> HP98265 (SCSI S 32) at 14
> HP98643 (LAN) at 21, AUI, 08000907CE0B
> HP PARALLEL at 23

Jorgen,
        The HP380 is on of the best hp300 in the line(IMHO). Its got SCSI &&
HP-IB, which is a big plus if you cant find any HP-IB disks. Nice quick
25mhz 040! The RAM is 'SIMM' like. We've found more at 'ancient-computer'
garage sales.

        One problem is they arent net-bootable (you need a BOOROM revision C
or later). So basically, you need a SCSI drive, hook it to a computer that
can write BSD disklables, and drop the miniroot into the swap partition.
Boot of the swap, and install away! (assuming your on a network where you
can ftp to one of the NetBSD mirror sites).]

        Good luck

        Nate

E-Mail: Nathan Gelbard <gelbard@engr.orst.edu>
Date: 06-Feb-98