Subject: RE: Ref: AW: Some newbbie questions...
To: None <SALEM@statoil.no>
From: David Brownlee <abs@anim.dreamworks.com>
List: port-hp300
Date: 02/05/1998 06:56:38
On Tue, 3 Feb 1998 SALEM@statoil.no wrote:

> 1)  Can anybody help me with the configuring of the new the system?
> I mean can anybody send me a "typical" rc.conf?

	It usually enough to do the following:

	/etc/rc.conf
		rc_configured=YES
		hostname="$your_hostname"

	 /etc/ifconfig.le0	(Replace le0 with your net interface)
		$your_hostname
		(You could put this in rc.conf as well)

	/etc/hosts
		(Add your hostname & IP)

> 2) I also had a Kernel panic after rebooting at least twice (MMU fault).
> Could that be because of a zero size swap? (I have 32MB ram and have
> nothing
> large running!!) . I could report the details if anybody think it is worth.

	You _should_ be able to run find without any swap. There may be
	some issues with how the linux box has implemented NFS...

> In the meantime I would like to write a yet another (more detailed maybe)
> HOWTO
> about booting NetBSD from a Linux server. Coming soon (i hope)...

	Brian Chase <bdc@world.std.com> has written a HOWTO on booting
	NetBSD/vax from various other unixes (Linux, FreeBSD, etc).

	http://world.std.com/~bdc/projects/vaxen/VAX-netboot-HOWTO.html
	The only difference is the prom and the fact it uses mopd instead
	of rbootd, but after that everything is the same - maybe it might
	make sense to have a VAX and hp300 specific initial part, followed
	by a shared section?

> ----
> I would also like to have a cluster of HP (2x433t and a 340) using the same
> tree on
> the Linux box. HP-UX used to have CDF (Context Dependent Files) to run a
> cluster
> of workstations out of a single tree on the server. For example
> /etc/rc.config would
> have been not a file, but in fact a tree (named /etc/rc.config+) with
> several files rc.config
> visible only from each workstation. Although the root tree mounted was the
> same.
> I understand that one could mount /usr but I found the idea of a single
> root tree very
> atractive, since only a few files need to be specific to each workstation
> but they have a
> sparse location outside /usr.
>
> 3) Has NetBSD something like CFD too? If not, what do people do to avoid
> duplicating
> the most of the tree?.  Pointers?

	The root filesystem tends to be quite small, so the cost in space
	is not tht great...

	Hm - one (ugly) option might be to have the entire hp300 tree
	NFS exported, with symlinks from all the 'specific' files and
	directories (/etc/rc.conf, make /tmp a symlink to var/tmp, probably
	all of /var), to /local/<whatever>, then add something to the start
	of /etc/rc that mounted the appropriate /local/<whatever> based on the
	current IP address...

	On the server the tree might look like
	/export/hp/
	           root				(Full hp300 tree, inc symlinks)
	           local/
	                 host1/			(All local files for host1)
			       etc/rc.conf
			       var/...
	                 host2/			(All local files for host2)
			       etc/rc.conf
			       var/...

	Not as ugly as I had first thought... but you still have the
	problem of not being able to compile custom kernels for each
	machine, to tune for CPU type and hardware...

		David/absolute

      "I may not always say what I mean, but I usually mean what I say."