Subject: S/Key (in-)consistency on hp300 port?
To: None <port-hp300@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Greg Oster <oster@cs.usask.ca>
List: port-hp300
Date: 02/04/1998 15:05:51
Hi

Does anyone know of any reason why skey should generate a different
one-time password under NetBSD-1.3/hp300 than it does under NetBSD-1.3/i386
or NetBSD-1.2/hp300?

For example on the 1.3/hp300 (using "foo" as the secret password) I get:
% skey 662 sa33031
Enter secret password:
NOR LULU PUT KICK HI YAM
%
On a 1.3i386 box I get:
% skey 662 sa33031
Enter secret password:
JIVE OUST AREA EVE SLAB SANG
%

If I statically link the 1.3 skey using the 1.2 libskey.a, then the 1.3 skey
works (i.e. gives the correct one-time password).  If I just use the 1.2 skey
program (with 1.3 libskey) it doesn't work (i.e. it gives the wrong
one-time password).

The only major difference I can think of is that the 1.3 libskey will be
using the MD4 routines from libc, while the 1.2 version of libskey is
using the ones directly in that library.

Any thoughts?  Can anyone else duplicate this problem?
I plan on trying this on a sun3 box this evening to see if
maybe it's a m68k thing...

Thanks.

Later...

Greg Oster

oster@cs.usask.ca
Department of Computer Science
University of Saskatchewan, Saskatoon, Saskatchewan, CANADA