Subject: RE: Ref: AW: Some newbbie questions...
To: None <gelbard@engr.orst.edu>
From: None <SALEM@statoil.no>
List: port-hp300
Date: 02/03/1998 14:45:43
Til:      SALEM @ statoil.no
Kopi:     port-hp300 @ NetBSD.ORG (blind kopi: Lazaro Daniel Salem)
Fra:      gelbard @ engr.orst.edu @ INTERNET
Dato:     02.02.98 12:00:16 PST
Tema:     RE: Ref: AW: Some newbbie questions...

Natan wrote,

>> Thanks for your answers.
>> I am working on booting NetBSD-1.3 off the linux  (Debian) box following
>> the instructions discussed earlier on this list.
>>
>> Concerning the client's (NEtBSD) tree, I have untarred the base.tgz,
>> etc.tgz,
>> NetBSD.gz and man.tgz sets under /export/hp/root.
>>
>> I figure out that I need to edit some of the files under
>> /export/hp/root/etc
>> My guess is that at least the following files should be edited:
>>
>> fstab, hosts, myname.
>>
>> Am I  missing some  other config files?
>Are you actually getting past the SYS_UBOOT where it actually boots
>a kernel? I keep getting "Unknown error -1" (syscall restart) after
>it rarps its IP and gets the export dir.
>
>        nate

Yes Natan, I was able to boot and I could ping, ftp,telnet, the linux box
from NEtBSD
and viceversa (it was slower when NetBSD pinging the Linux... why?)
Just a comment, when the boot runs /etc/rc I am dropped into single mode
because of /etc/rc.conf being unconfigured.

1)  Can anybody help me with the configuring of the new the system?
I mean can anybody send me a "typical" rc.conf?

2) I also had a Kernel panic after rebooting at least twice (MMU fault).
Could that be because of a zero size swap? (I have 32MB ram and have
nothing
large running!!) . I could report the details if anybody think it is worth.

Nate, notice that I only compiled rbootd (from rbootdunif.tgz fetched at
Peter's page).
Although Peter kindly provided lipcap.o, I think the bits could be built
out of the pcap
original library. Debian has a package libpcap0-0_3_1.deb and the sourcesin
the
stable (1.2=bo) distribution. I had a look at the original source but it
seems that
Peter used an older  version that makes comparision  difficult.
It would be realy nice to have the bits hacked to be patched to the latest
original
sources of rbootd. Voplunteers?

In the meantime I would like to write a yet another (more detailed maybe)
HOWTO
about booting NetBSD from a Linux server. Coming soon (i hope)...

----
I would also like to have a cluster of HP (2x433t and a 340) using the same
tree on
the Linux box. HP-UX used to have CDF (Context Dependent Files) to run a
cluster
of workstations out of a single tree on the server. For example
/etc/rc.config would
have been not a file, but in fact a tree (named /etc/rc.config+) with
several files rc.config
visible only from each workstation. Although the root tree mounted was the
same.
I understand that one could mount /usr but I found the idea of a single
root tree very
atractive, since only a few files need to be specific to each workstation
but they have a
sparse location outside /usr.

3) Has NetBSD something like CFD too? If not, what do people do to avoid
duplicating
the most of the tree?.  Pointers?

Thanks to all of you for your effort.
Lazaro