Subject: Re: HP 150
To: Nathan Gelbard <gelbard@ENGR.ORST.EDU>
From: Vince Vielhaber <vev@michvhf.com>
List: port-hp300
Date: 02/01/1998 10:21:51
On Sun, 1 Feb 1998, Nathan Gelbard wrote:

> Greetings,
>         I just scored a HP 150 semi-dumb terminal for $12.50 from goodwill.
> Working, excellent, HP keyboard, and a bright, unburnt screen. I realize
> this ISNT a hp300 :), but I was wondering if anybody knew anything about these
> things?
>
>         Its got an HP-IB port on the back (thus, semi-dumb). I couldnt ID
> a CPU inside, maybe some sort of NEC chip...
>
>         It complains about not being able to load an OS, then drops
> into dummy mode.
>
>         I've got it working as a dumb term to my i386 box, but what else
> can it do? Oh, its also a touch screen...
>
>         Any ideas? Web pages? I cant seem to find jack about it on the net.
> Oh, I seem to remember a printer fits above the screen..

It's fairly dumb.  I have one.  When I first got it I posted to the hp
hardware group and a few other places to find out what it is.  It's a
not quite 100% compatible 8088.  It had it's own version of DOS and the
HPIB port was used mainly for disk I/O (mine has no internal drives if
that was even an option).  There are a couple of companies that still
had copies of DOS and a few other odds and ends for it, but I 'd really
hafta search to find that info.  The recurring suggestion I got for uses
of it was as a terminal for an HP-300.  I never got around to that, but
next time I have the need for a GOOD terminal that's what I'll use on
my 360 - still don't have a monitor for that 360, I'm using a converted
composite that almost works.

Vince.
Vince Vielhaber -- KA8CSH   email: vev@michvhf.com   flame-mail: /dev/null
       # include <std/disclaimers.h>                   TEAM-OS2
   Online Searchable Campground Listings    http://www.camping-usa.com
              "I'm just not a fan of promoting stupidity!
            We have elected officials for that job!" -- Rock