Subject: RE: HP 150
To: Nathan Gelbard <gelbard@ENGR.ORST.EDU>
From: James N. Schweda <james@asunseeker.com>
List: port-hp300
Date: 02/01/1998 03:01:59
Hello Nathan,

      I just scored a HP 150 semi-dumb terminal for $12.50 from goodwill.
> Working, excellent, HP keyboard, and a bright, unburnt screen. I realize
> this ISNT a hp300 :), but I was wondering if anybody knew anything about these
> things?

I have a large number of HP150's waiting to be integrated into my network,
they were one of HP's attempts to make a consumer machine to compete with
the x86 achitecture.

It's possible to get some kind of dos to run on it as well as a
proprietary operating system that i have been unable to locate.

Apperantly the 150's can be switched into a Dumb terminal mode that can
act as a tty on a hp300 system with the help of a terminal server.

>         Its got an HP-IB port on the back (thus, semi-dumb). I couldnt ID
> a CPU inside, maybe some sort of NEC chip...

Generally the HP150 comes with a dual floppy/40 meg HD that can be
attached via HP/IB. I have a large number of these units if you lack one.

>         It complains about not being able to load an OS, then drops
> into dummy mode.

That is the same behavior I have observed.

>         I've got it working as a dumb term to my i386 box, but what else
> can it do?

Thats about it as far as I've seen...

> Oh, its also a touch screen...

That sounds like the HP150a it's the same as the 150 just has the silly
touch screen.
I wonder what kind of signal comes out of those holes around the screen,
it may not be the healthiest thing to be looking directly ito
investigating.

>         Any ideas? Web pages? I cant seem to find jack about it on the net.

That's as much as I've seen. If you want more I can probably get a number
of them...

Let me know if you find out anything more about them as I am interested as
well...

Roark