Subject: Problem with X11-Colormap
To: None <port-hp300@NetBSD.ORG>
From: f.baur <igv107@aix.zam.kfa-juelich.de>
List: port-hp300
Date: 10/07/1997 16:17:22
Hi all!

Im using my HP-345 with NetBSD 1.2.1 mainly to
telnet/rlogin into an IBM-machine.

When I login under X11 using 'xhost', I get several problems:

1. When trying to open a document with 'ghostview' or 'xdvi' started
    on the remote server,  the following error message appears:
     X Error of failed request:  BadValue (integer parameter out of
     range for operation)
         Major opcode of failed request:  91 (X_QueryColors)
         Value 0x40
         Serial number of failed request:  86
     Error: PostScript interpreter failed in main window.

2. Some programs (e.g. netscape) cause X to flash to other colors
    (ugly). Graphics (gifs, jpegs) are displayed using a false
    colormap (even more ugly). The colormap-flashing can only be
    supressed by forcing netscape to use the standard X11-colormap, which=

    results in a heavily reduces number of free color-cells and
    a X11-crash when using too many graphic-programs at the same time.

3. Some graphic programms like 'xfig' or 'tgif' started on the
    remote host crash  X imediatly.

Any idea how to solve these problems? Could there be compatibility-proble=
with X11- R5/R6 libraries? Would it be possible to modify the standard
colormap?

Thanks for help

Frank

-- =

Frank Baur
Institut f=FCr Grenzfl=E4chenforschung und Vakuumphysik (IGV)
Forschungszentrum J=FClich GmbH =

52425 J=FClich - Deutschland
Tel.:  (.. 49) 0 24 61/61 43 35
FAX.:  (.. 49) 0 24 61/61 39 07