Subject: Re: Booting from SYS_INST
To: Erik R. Ogan <erik@galt.com>
From: der Mouse <mouse@Rodents.Montreal.QC.CA>
List: port-hp300
Date: 09/24/1997 06:56:39
> (note: I'm subbed to port-hp300 but its been quiet lately, so if
> you've been getting traffic, it might be a good idea to let me know
> and cc me directly.)

It's looked quiet to me too.

> How do I get my machine to recognize SYS_INST as a boot option?

> Now both of them have SYS_INST in / on the first partition (I know it
> won't help much on the HP-UX disk), but I ASSUME that I need to
> diddle the boot block to tell it where to find SYS_INST.

This does not match my (limited) understanding of the hp300 boot
process.  Here's what I think is going on; if I make a mistake, I'm
sure someone who knows better can correct me.

There is a rudimentary filesystem format called LIF.  The first N
blocks of a boot disk are reserved for a LIF "filesystem", and it's
here that you have to put SYS_INST.  (N varies depending on how much
space you want to reserve for boot images; I believe it's on the order
of 100, and the NetBSD/hp300 docs recommend reserving the first
cylinder for the purpose.)  NetBSD/hp300 doesn't have any elaborate
tools to work with LIF; the bootblock build process just constructs a
little LIF filesystem, which installboot then treats as opaque data and
plops into place.  I believe HP-UX does have some tools to work with
LIF, but I know just about zero about them.  (IMO the _right_ way to
handle this would be to promote LIF to a real filesystem, so the
bootblock area could be mounted once NetBSD is up and SYS_INST copied
into place with a simple cp.  But that's probably more work than it's
really worth.  Certainly more work than it's worth to me. :-)

> :HP 7959S, 1400, 0
>   1Z SYS_PBOOT

> :HP 7959S, 1400, 0
>   1H SYSHPUX
>   1D SYSDEBUG
>   1B SYSBCKUP

> Ok, now 7959S is the model of the disk(s), and I assume the 1400, 0
> is an address (sector, block or some such) which might give me a
> location to write to...

I think the "1400, 0" part indicates the address of the disk drive in
some sense (is your disk an HPIB disk, HPIB interface at select code 14
or 20 (=0x14), disk at HPIB code 0, perchance?).

					der Mouse

			       mouse@rodents.montreal.qc.ca