Subject: Booting from SYS_INST
To: None <port-hp300@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Erik R. Ogan <erik@galt.com>
List: port-hp300
Date: 09/24/1997 02:50:12
(note: I'm subbed to port-hp300 but its been quiet lately, so if you've
been getting traffic, it might be a good idea to let me know and cc me
directly.)

This seems like a REALLY simple (stupid) question, but I can't glean the
answer from the INSTALL file and I've searched the archives of this list
so here goes:

How do I get my machine to recognize SYS_INST as a boot option?

The details:
I have two twin HP9000/375s
BOOTROM Rev. D

One is currently running NetBSD 1.0 (yay!)
and the other is running PH-UX 7 (!yay)

Now both of them have SYS_INST in / on the first partition (I know it
won't help much on the HP-UX disk), but I ASSUME that I need to diddle
the boot block to tell it where to find SYS_INST.

Or I'm not making a fundamental leap in how this whole install works.
(somehow I'm beginning to feel this is the most likely explanation)

Any pointers/suggestions on getting them up and running (especially using
the NetBSD box to install on the HP-UX (though I do feel somewhat guilty
throwing away a perfectly good (for sufficiently broad definitions of
"good") copy of v7 (complete with X11R3 (or is it 2?)), but thats just
me being sentimental)) would be greatly appreciated.

For reference, the boot menus:

:HP 7959S, 1400, 0
  1Z SYS_PBOOT

:HP 7959S, 1400, 0
  1H SYSHPUX
  1D SYSDEBUG
  1B SYSBCKUP

Ok, now 7959S is the model of the disk(s), and I assume the 1400, 0 is
an address (sector, block or some such) which might give me a location
to write to...

Oh, and Jim, these machines have recently moved down the street from where
you work. Want to come take a look?  ;-`)  <----- (for the sarcasm-impaired)

--
Erik R. Ogan                                        Mail with Subject:
Webmaster/System Engineer                            "send public key"