Subject: Re: Using an Apollo 425t diskless
To: Torsten Schlueter <t.schlueter@unidui.uni-duisburg.de>
From: Ian Clark <ic@deakin.edu.au>
List: port-hp300
Date: 09/15/1997 08:53:44
On Fri, 12 Sep 1997, Torsten Schlueter wrote:

> Hi all,
> after having a lot of problems with this workstation (not able to
> install netbsd) im am thinking about using it as a diskless workstation.
> Now there is the problem, that i did not do something like that before.
> Here is my idea:
> I've got an PC running linux an the rbootd.
> The HP is able to boot the Nboot 'boot Image'
> Now im looking for information what to do to boot NETBSD on the HP using
> Linux-PC as an NFS Server... Can somebody tell me where to find some
> literature about this topic? Or has somebody done like i want to?

Check out http://prozac.cwru.edu/wes/hp for deatils on net-booting a 300
from linux. I managed to do it, but have a few furthur tips.

1. After untarring all your NetBSD files onto your server, don't forget
to run MAKEDEV for NetBSD to create the devices. Its a bit hard for the
kernel to write to the console when there isn't one! At least I found out
a lot of tcpdump options while trying to find what was wrong.

2. NetBSD (and I guess other 'BSD) doesn't only use privledged ports for NFS.
Linux, however, does by default. Specifiying 'insecure' in the export
options should work, but it didn't for me ( I have a vauge idea this is
caused by only being able to have one export policy on an acual partition ?).
I restarted rpc.nfsd with the '-n' option (allow access from non-root
ports) while I was booting NetBSD.

				good luck and have fun !

Ian Clark VK3KRI        ic@deakin.edu.au      http://www.deakin.edu.au/~ic/