Subject: Re: a friend is about to leave...
To: None <ml@persius.rz.uni-potsdam.de, carrel@sailpix.com>
From: Michael Lorenz <ml@persius.rz.uni-potsdam.de>
List: port-hp300
Date: 07/17/1997 14:05:30
Moin !

> Do the LED's just turn on and stay on, or do they follow a sequence.  The
> LED sequence indicates the hardware self-tests as they occur.  I have the
> hardware manuals for that beast and if you can see a sequence, I can tell
> you where the self-tests are failing.
They don't flicker in any way, as soon as I turn on power the LEDs are lit and stay so, the console remains black.

> Other than that, I would do some simple sanity testing, like measuring VCC
> to make sure the Power supply is still good.  Did something short when
> re-mounting the board??  Maybe try re-seating all the memory boards.  Also
> I know that I had a bitch of a time installing the 040.  I had to put all
> of my weight on it to get it to seat itself far enough in the socket.  If
> you don't support the board properly when doing this, it's very easy to
> crack it and break a trace on an internal layer, in which case you're SOL.
> Or when applying that much pressure, you can bend a pin on the bottom of
> the board and cause a short.  Try checking those.
Aah, I hoped thas anyone would say something like this, thank you :-)

Now I have a reason to check anything once again :-))) and don't have to believe that thwe machine is dead, it merely lies in a sort of coma :-)))))

bye
Michael