Subject: Re: a friend is about to leave...
To: Michael Lorenz <ml@persius.rz.uni-potsdam.de>
From: michael smith <mike@smith.net.au>
List: port-hp300
Date: 07/17/1997 00:41:19
Michael Lorenz stands accused of saying:
>Hmm, maybe the old BootROM got damaged ( some pins bent ) but the new one
>should at least complein about the wrong processor...

Er, probably not.  I'd guess that the startup code is _probably_
CPU/board dependant.

>P.S.: I have found an old apollo 400 mainboard, so all I would need is an
>Apollo 400 case with power supply... hmm, what do you think a 380 BootROM does
>in a Apollo ? find the HP bits and ignore the Apollo ones ?

Almost certainly absolutely nothing.  From my reading, the 4xx machines
come up looking like an Apollo and need some fairly different massaging
to get them going.  Just for starters, there's quite a lot of
very different hardware on the board.

--
Mike Smith  Unix hardware collector  http://www.smith.net.au/~mike
The question "why are the fundamental laws of nature mathematical"