Subject: Re: Multpile serial port adapter on 425?
To: Jason Thorpe <thorpej@nas.nasa.gov>
From: michael smith <mike@smith.net.au>
List: port-hp300
Date: 07/11/1997 18:59:06
Jason Thorpe stands accused of saying:
>On Thu, 10 Jul 1997 22:54:20 +0930 (CST)
> michael smith <mike@smith.net.au> wrote:
>
> > The device nodes are called whatever you want to call them; you can
> > make them with 'mknod'; the apci driver has major number 31, the
> > ports are probably minors 0 and 1.
>
>BZZT.  :-)

Well, hey, I can't run -current coz you haven't done the Domain
keyboard mods yet.  I was close, though, right? 8)

>So, if you "MAKEDEV apci0", it will create:
>
>       /dev/ttya0
>       /dev/ttya1
>       /dev/ttya2
>       /dev/ttya3

You might want to point out that in that case, ttya0 is going to be
the _keyboard_ port, which may confuse people, and ttya1 will conflict
with dca0 if present.

IMHO this is the wrong thing to have done, the devices should match
the three serial ports with the UART for the keyboard, regardless
of architectural similarities, kept for use by the keyboard driver.

--
Mike Smith  Unix hardware collector  http://www.smith.net.au/~mike
The question "why are the fundamental laws of nature mathematical"