Subject: HP Thinkjet on HP-IB
To: port hp300 <port-hp300@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Andreas Brusinsky <brusinsk@ibdr.inf.tu-dresden.de>
List: port-hp300
Date: 07/09/1997 00:56:58
I have compiled a kernel with the ppi0 device, switched on
my hp-thinkjet and rebooted the HP425.

The printer makes a short noise when the bootloader comes up
and when the ppi0 device is probed.

I have 7 dip switches in the back of the device,
5 for addres selection one labled "LISTEN ALLWAYS"
and one labled "SRQ EN" (enabled probably).

Now I would like to print and I attempted this
with "echo /root/.cshrc >/dev/ppi0".

I am not sure if this is the right way to acces this device
but there is no usefull outcome.

If I leave the "LISTEN ALLWAYS" switch to "0" then
the above command blocks and nothing happens on the
printer.

Only if I dip the switch to "1" then somthing
happens at the printer but it is not OK.

The "SRQ EN" swich does not mater ins this setting.
Only if LISTEN ALLWAYS is switched to 1 something
happens.

Has the ppi0 device special drivers for different
printers?

Should the used way produce a textdump of .cshrc or
is there probably no support for the Thinkjet?

Thanks for some commennts on this.

        Bye   Brusi

            by           E-Mail: ab2@inf.tu-dresden.de
                         Tel.-priv: 0351-8499347 (Germany/Dresden)
          \____