Subject: Re: Salvaging a drive...
To: Nathan Gelbard <gelbard@ENGR.ORST.EDU>
From: michael smith <mike@smith.net.au>
List: port-hp300
Date: 06/07/1997 14:27:30
Nathan Gelbard stands accused of saying:

>On the board is a socket chip with a white label on top that looks
>like the only thing that COULD be an eeprom. Th rest are either very
>large, or soddered on the board.

The EE storage will either be an 8-pin device or a 24/28 pin
part with a number starting 28- something, _if_ the controller
has any.

>The chip reads 07957
>                       89061
>                       MR1.2 (red dot)

This will be the drive firmware.  It is quite likely that the
firmware has a fixed table of drive identifiers, and will only
work with drives already listed in the firmware.  If this is the
case, you are SOL with this box, and should pursue the SCSI
angle instead.

--
Mike Smith  *BSD hack  Unix hardware collector
The question "why are the fundamental laws of nature mathematical"