Subject: Re: Salvaging a drive...
To: Jason Thorpe <thorpej@nas.nasa.gov>
From: Nathan Gelbard <gelbard@ENGR.ORST.EDU>
List: port-hp300
Date: 06/06/1997 09:37:56
At 08:48 AM 6/6/97 -0700, Jason Thorpe wrote:
>On Fri, 06 Jun 1997 01:09:14 -0700
>Now, I think the controllers are all basically the same, save
>an EEPROM, or something, that holds the information for the type
>of disk that was installed in the box... although, I'm not 100%
>certain... (I suppose I could pull one of my 7958s apart, but you
>already have yours open, so I'll let you look :-)  Anyhow, if you
>can find the beast, and figure out the format, you might be able
>to fudge it...

On the board is a socket chip with a white label on top that looks
like the only thing that COULD be an eeprom. Th rest are either very
large, or soddered on the board.

The chip reads	07957
			89061
			MR1.2 (red dot)

I looked on the Apollo controller I got this from (4500), and there
we're 2 socket chips (both from western dig corp). I was hoping to
just remove a chip from the Apollo and pop it into the other <g>
If life could just be that simple.

Now, how would one 'fudge' it? I don't own an eeprom burner, nar
seen one IRL.

Friend of mine has a hp C2203A 670mb HPIB disk storage system.
Holds 3 HPIB drives. He 'popped' in a 120 and its workin great
next to the 2 300s.

I've got another C2203A box, but it lacks controller cards...sigh.