Subject: RE: Salvaging a drive...
To: Nathan Gelbard <gelbard@ENGR.ORST.EDU>
From: michael smith <mike@smith.net.au>
List: port-hp300
Date: 06/06/1997 17:50:46
Nathan Gelbard stands accused of saying:
>I've got a MAXTOR 760mb ESDI drive I pulled out of a
>Apollo 4500 that I want to use. I plugged it into a
>HP 7958 disk box (ex 170mb Micropolis). I didnt
>plug in the blinking lights, and -current thought
>it was a 50mb tape drive <g>. Plugged in the lights,
>and it was FAULT!
>
>       Now, I REALLY WANT to use this drive. I hate having
>3 120mb drives. Any chance I can fix it?

Um.  Maybe, depending on the controller, as you surmise.  I
don't know what you want to use it _on_, but FWIW am using
an identical disk, out of an identical machine, on a 425t.

I have it mounted in an old Novell disk box (used to have
an ACB-4000 and a 40M Rodime in it, also refurbed the PSU)
being run off an Emulex MD-21 ESDI-SCSI controller.

It was a _real_PAIN_ to run the low-level format on it,
as I had to boot a SunOS CD on my IPC to do it, and spent
many hours on it, but now that it's done, it works a treat.

The MD-21 is reasonably easy to get, and often comes with
Sun 'hatbox' chassis which are quite nice in and of themselves.

Of course, if you are using an HPIB-only box then this isn't
much use to you 8(

(aside - Jason; I've run out of leads here on data for the Fuji
SCSI controller.  I realise I'm constantly pleading for data,
but I'd be really interested to look at it if/when you get a
chance.  I've also considered borrowing a scanner for some
time to do something about some of the docco that people have
already sent me.  Any ideas on OCR software?)

--
Mike Smith  *BSD hack  Unix hardware collector
The question "why are the fundamental laws of nature mathematical"