Subject: Re: Apollo 400t
To: Nathan Gelbard <gelbard@engr.orst.edu>
From: Jason Thorpe <thorpej@nas.nasa.gov>
List: port-hp300
Date: 06/02/1997 09:50:35
On Mon, 02 Jun 1997 00:13:00 -0700
 Nathan Gelbard <gelbard@ENGR.ORST.EDU> wrote:

 > I've got a Apollo 400t that when powered up, says
 >
 > 	Remote Console at 9
 >
 > How do I get rid of this make the current console default?
 > I cant seem to find any jumpers on the motherboard that would
 > change this.

...you need to use the Configuration EEPROM.

There should be a way to force it to use the framebuffer console
temporarily... does it print any messages about using "local"
console?

In any case, if not, you need to hook up a terminal or something to
the serial port...

Once you are able to watch the standard power-up self-test on some
display, hit the spacebar as if you were going to manually select
the boot device.  Then, hit "C <return>".  That will bring up
a configuration menu.  Now, it's been a while since I've done this,
and I'm at work, so I don't have my manual in front of me, but there
will be an option that will sound something like "i/o configuration".

Select it.

You'll have the option to configure several built-in devices, including
the LAN controller, the built-in SCSI, etc.  From these menus, you can
set interrupt levels, and other attributes.  Select the serial port.
One of the attributes will be "remote".  Change that option to "no".
Back out, and save the configuration.  This will perform a cold-reset
on the machine, and your console should magically be the framebuffer.

 > PS: Where can I get more RAM for these things, anyway?

Hmm ... HP doesn't sell it anymore, but there is a company in ... I think
it's New Jersey that sells it... Anyone here have more info on that?