Subject: Re: Binary snapshot available
To: Nathan Gelbard <gelbard@engr.orst.edu>
From: Jason Thorpe <thorpej@nas.nasa.gov>
List: port-hp300
Date: 05/30/1997 13:54:21
On Fri, 30 May 1997 13:49:51 -0700
 Nathan Gelbard <gelbard@engr.orst.edu> wrote:

 > >...what do you mean?  You rebooted... that should have worked ok... why
 > >did you need to use the debugger?  What happened, exactly?  Nothing
 > >should have gone wrong there.  If it did, there is a bug somewhere :-)
 >
 > All of my daemons dumped core, and it went straight into the kernel
 > debugger.

...umm, there would have been a message indicating _why_ it was entering
the debugger...

 > whoops. forgot the --unlink. All of my robotic-shell scripts to
 > install new systems have that. Silly me ;0!

Yah, the --unlink is important...

 > No, on my OTHER system (hp370). I've always had problems with the
 > SCSI-controller & a group loop in the chasis.

Oh, eek.

 > fsck returns a error to the shell. while -p is a valid option,
 > fsck wants more (like a filesystem to play with). the rc
 > script calls fsck to check all the filesytems, fsck returns
 > an error code (unknown) which gets caught by the case statement's
 > *), "Unknown error; help!"

...oh, this is probably a symptom of not extracting the binaries
properly... fsck is now a program that, like mount, dispatches the
proper fsck_* for the file system... i.e. fsck_ffs, fsck_msdos, etc.

Try running fsck_ffs manually until you get everything fixed up.

 > telnet connection refused from outside. Trying to telnet FROM the system (yes,
 > the network is configed) yeilds: arpresolve: can't allocate llinfo

eek... I haven't seen anything like this, nor have I heard reports.
What is your network configuration?  (Every last detail, please :-)

 > Anyway I'm going to --unlink and pray ;)
 > Will post more after I've fixed/destroyed it!

Ok... best of luck!