Subject: Re: Multipul screens
To: None <carrel@redbacknetworks.com, platt@coos.dartmouth.edu>
From: Mike Hibler <mike@fast.cs.utah.edu>
List: port-hp300
Date: 05/27/1997 16:03:56
> Date: Tue, 27 May 1997 14:25:04 -0700
> From: David Carrel <carrel@redbacknetworks.com>
> To: "Christopher L. Platt" <platt@coos.dartmouth.edu>
> Subject: Re: Multipul screens
>
> > Many years ago I set up an 360 with 2 heads (under HPUX 6 or 7) with
> > 2 keyboards and 2 mouse all on the same HIL line and could run a
> > single X server with 2 screens, or 2 X servers, each with its own
> > keyboard.  The keyboard furthest out on the chain was the default
> > device as I recall.
>
> How do you connect them?  Keyboards have an in and an out.  But mice
> only have an in.  Can devices on a HIL bus be in parallel??  I thought
> it required them to be in serial.

The first three button mice we got with 300s were made by Logitech for HP
and connected via a standard 9-pin connector to an "HP-HIL/QUAD PORT" module
which had both an in and an out HIL connector.

The quad port box part# is 46094A and the mouse is 46095A.

FYI: I don't know if this quad port box could be used with a modern serial
mouse.  The back of the mouse says "Current 80ma  5V DC".