Subject: Re: Hi there (and first question)
To: Torsten Schlueter <torsten@geo1.uni-duisburg.de>
From: Jason Thorpe <thorpej@nas.nasa.gov>
List: port-hp300
Date: 05/20/1997 07:38:36
[ I'm going to be away from my mail completely all day today and part
  of tomorow, but I thought I'd quickly scan it before heading to
  the airport, and this one is a quick answer :-]

On Tue, 20 May 1997 10:13:03 +0200
 Torsten Schlueter <torsten@geo1.uni-duisburg.de> wrote:

 > > So I rephrase Torsten's question:
 > > Will the controller be able to talk to the SCSI 2 devices if any?
 >
 > That was _not_ my question because all SCSI -2 devices can 'speak' SCSI
 > -I. Vice versa they don't.

The differences between SCSI-1 and SCSI-2 are primarily extensions to
the protocol engine... SCSI-2 allows things like disconnect/reselect, etc.
Typically, the jumpers on disks to select SCSI-1 or SCSI-2 disable
things like disconnect in the SCSI-1 position.

Really, the only thing that keeps the hp300 SCSI stuff from being SCSI-2
is software...

 > The LPS520S is beeing recognized by the 425T. Another Hard Disk not
 > (Micropolis 3243AV SCSI II 4,3GB)

...are there any errors displayed while probing for this device?