Subject: Re: Hardware ID?
To: Nathan Gelbard <gelbard@ENGR.ORST.EDU>
From: Elmar Kolkman <kolkmae@la1.apd.dec.com>
List: port-hp300
Date: 05/20/1997 07:38:27
> I need info on the following stuff:
> 	1) What it is
> 	2) What it does

	:
> Async MUX 98642A

This one I know. I have some of these myself. They are cards with 4 RS-232
ports. Although not all ports are full RS-232, it works. There is more
information on them at http://www.mindspring.com/~rossspon I think. Perhaps
also on the other cards...
I can look up the pin-layout of the small RJ-11 plugs, but that information I
don't have here.

> HPIB Tape Drive 9145 (23 track). What kind of tapes can I use?
> 				      How many megs will it hold?

It sounds somewhat like my HP-IB tape unit, but am not sure. HP's tape units
only work with QIC tapes which are specially formatted with start and end
blocks. It doesn't use the holes in the tape.

> --
> Thanx in advance.
> I just spent the last 3 hours (12am-3am) building and testing
> 8 HP300 boxes ;) My thumbs a REALLY cut up from the cards and
> screws. Woah is me.

Hm. That would make a nice network...

> I found 3 M68030 boards with a daughter board of 16mb, but no external
> plug for more RAM. Can these use more RAM?

I have seen messages about RAM-boards for DIO and DIO-II, but it is not sure
they would work.

> Most of my Human Interface boards have a daughterboard with an HP-IB
> plug comming off of it. Is this a 'Fast HP-IB' card?

Could be. In my case it was (I replaced it for a SCSI daughterboard).

> 3 of my Human Interface boards have a daughterboard with a large
> bar connector comming off of it. Is this a SCSI interface? SCSI-1?

If you look up the part-numbers, it is detectable. Or you can start up the
machine. It gives a lot of info on what is connected to the machine.

> Thats all folks!
> 	Thanx again!
>
> 		Nate the Very Tired

Elmar

--
Terror : Appropriate reaction after considering the terrain
				Henry Beard & Roy McKie, A skiers dictionary