Subject: Re: Trying to get diskless Install started
To: None <ROD_STOKES@Non-HP-UnitedKingdom-om7.om.hp.com>
From: David Brownlee <abs@anim.dreamworks.com>
List: port-hp300
Date: 05/02/1997 14:14:36
On Fri, 2 May 1997 ROD_STOKES@Non-HP-UnitedKingdom-om7.om.hp.com wrote:

> Hi...
>
> This is my first posting to this mailing list so please humor me :-)

	Welcome to NetBSD (or nearly :)

> I recently inherited a 425 with 16MB RAM but no disk.  I have read the
> INSTALL document and tried to get it to boot onto my 9000/715 which is
> running HP-UX 10.20.  The 425 passes its self tests but just sits there
> searching.  I have checked that it is in HP-UX mode and it seems to send
> several packets onto the LAN (the lights flicker).  The 715 does not put
> anything into the log file for rbootd other than the daemon
> initialisation messages.

	Can you 'trace' the rbootd process on the HP (I'm not familiar
	with the facilities of HP/UX - under solaris it would be 'truss',
	under NetBSD 'ktrace')

> The documentation for 10.20 says that rbootd now uses the /etc/bootptab
> file but I would have thought that it would still log an error if it was
> seeing the 425s requests.  Has anyone managed to get rbootd on 10.20 to
> service requests from a 300/400?  I have probably just missed something
> in the rbootd config on the 715.

	Do you have a machine on which you can run tcpdump?

> The BSD rbootd daemon won't compile 'out of the box' on my 715 so I
> haven't been able to replace the HP one yet.
>
> I also tried to boot off DAT tape.  The 425 sees the tape drive and the
> first part of the tape gets read but then it seems to get ignored after
> that.  I tried the dd command mentioned in the INSTALL document but could
> not find support for conv=osync under HP-UX 10.20.  Using combinations of
> dd with various block sizes seems to make no difference to the 425.
>
> BTW I am trying with NetBSD v1.2 as I am unsure what files I should be
> using under 1.2.1
>
> I do have the option of using a Linux box for boot if that would solve
> any problems.  This is a last resort as the PC normally runs Windoze
> (NT4ws/W95).

	One option might be to install the base 1.2.1 i386 distribution
	onto the PC - that way you get an rbootd and friends that are
	known to work fine for NetBSD/hp300, and that everyone knows
	how to debug :)

                David/abs               abs@anim.dreamworks.com

    		       - Oakwood apartments -
     - $1300 a month and people steal your laundry - What a place -