Subject: baffled.
To: None <port-hp300@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Herb Peyerl <hpeyerl@beer.org>
List: port-hp300
Date: 05/01/1997 22:27:23
Ok, so I tried to upgrade lager to 33mhz as it's currently a 25mhz strider
so by rights it should go to 33... I've tried a 66mhz, 64mhz, and 60mhz
oscillator and no luck. These oscillators work in the 425t at the office
so I know they're good... The cpu is a 33mhz 040 that was running at 33mhz
in an mvme167...

What happens is it powers up but all LED's just go on solid and don't
go through the little cascading pattern... It just sits there, presumably
never coming out of reset.  It works fine with a 50mhz oscillator in it...

I've tried all combinations of oscillator and 25/33mhz jumper position.

I'm out of ideas. anyone else have any?

Someone hinted at me that there was a eeprom menu that would allow you to
select 25/33 mhz... myself, I just thought it was the jumper...

Interestingly though, running at 25 mhz now but with the jumper in the
33mhz position, it claims (with an older kernel):

HP9000/433 (33MHz MC68040 CPU+MMU+FPU, 4k on-chip physical I/D caches)

whereas with the jumper in the 25mhz position, it reports /425 (25Mhz)...

Oh, btw, I checked my memory speeds, all 80's except for an 8MB 70ns
simm. I pulled all the 80's and tried with only the 70 in there and
no change in behavior...