Subject: Re: Quantum ProDrive ELS
To: Jason Thorpe <thorpej@nas.nasa.gov>
From: mike smith <miff@spam.frisbee.net.au>
List: port-hp300
Date: 04/30/1997 22:30:16
Jason Thorpe wrote:

>  > I strongly recall reading somewhere when I was getting into
>  > the hp300 stuff that there were some problems with SCSI-2 disks,
>  > and that they might have to be reconfigured to run SCSI-1.
>  >
>  > If you don't believe me, I'll have to go look 8)
>
> ...I certainly don't remember that, but that doesn't mean someone didn't
> say it at one point.  In any case, it's incorrect... SCSI-2 disks in
> SCSI-2 mode work just fine.

Hmm, I think it might have been in the 1.2 INSTALL file.  There's
this intimation from the hp300 port page :

Disks:
         HP-IB/CS80: 7912, 7914, 7933, 7936, 7945, 7957, 7958, 7959,
2200, and 2203
         SCSI-I, including magneto-optical and CD-ROM

And this in a more recent INSTALL :

(**) SCSI-II drives are known to work, though this may require changing
     jumper on some drives.  See your disk's documentation for details.

I seem to recall that the jumper mentioned was the "SCSI-I/II"
jumper on some old Quantums.  *shrug*  I'm happy regardless 8)

--
Mike Smith  *BSD hack  Unix hardware collector
The question "why are the fundamental laws of nature mathematical"