Subject: Re: network problem.
To: Nathan Gelbard <gelbard@engr.orst.edu>
From: Jason Thorpe <thorpej@nas.nasa.gov>
List: port-hp300
Date: 04/27/1997 16:50:28
On Sun, 27 Apr 1997 16:17:05 -0700
 Nathan Gelbard <gelbard@ENGR.ORST.EDU> wrote:

 > On my hp300 (1.2), I get
 >
 > le0: dropping chained buffer.
 >
 > Whats going on? How can I fix? Thanx.

...looking at the code in sys/dev/ic/am7990.c, it looks like that happens
when the receive buffer in question lacks either the beginning or the
end of the packet.  Given that the LANCE receive buffers are 1536 bytes
in length (MTU + header + CRC), I can only assume that this is the result
of a mis-framed packet on the wire (or maybe a missed clock period?)

I'd check to make sure other hosts on the same wire aren't spewing
mangled packets.