Subject: Re: Support for 425e with SGC video?
To: Jay Lovell <Jay.Lovell@bridge.bst.bls.com>
From: Jason Thorpe <thorpej@nas.nasa.gov>
List: port-hp300
Date: 04/24/1997 11:22:46
On Thu, 24 Apr 1997 08:48:52 -0600
 Jay Lovell <Jay.Lovell@bridge.bst.bls.com> wrote:

 > Did some investigating some more and it turns out I do indeed have the
 > 425e's with the SGC video.  Last message I saw on them was from October of
 > 1996 where support for them was being dropped/delayed until someone showed
 > up who had time to work on them.  So at this point, the question becomes,
 > "is anyone working on them (425e with SGC video)?" and "is there anything I
 > can do to contribute to and help this effort (if any)?"

Okay...

SGC video is not currently supported.  There were at least two problems
the last time this was discussed here:

	(1) The autoconfiguration infrastructure could not sanely
	    support another bus.

	(2) No one with the right combination of:

		(a) hardware
		(b) documentation
		(c) time
		(d) clue

	    existed to do the work.  :-)

(1) has been addressed, and adding a new bus type to the hp300
autoconfiguration model is trivial (right Mike? :-)

(2) ...well, you've asked "is there anything I can do"... :-)  The
answer here is "Yes!" ... You obviously have (a).  (b) may be available in
the Utah Mach sources for the hp700.  Now, do you have (c) and (d)?  I
can't help with (c) (I have a hard enough time with this myself :-),
but I _can_ help you with (d).

 > Of course, assumptions being what they are, I hesitate to make another one
 > <grin>!  I believe you are right, though, that I don't have a supported
 > video adapter.

...Do you have another hp300 or other NetBSD/m68k system on which you can
build kernels, and whatnot?  Or, some suitable cross-development environment?
(I can guide the setup of a cross-development environment, and would be happy
to commit changes to the NetBSD/hp300 code base to facilitate that... I've
just had no need to cross-compile NetBSD/hp300, but I do cross-compile
NetBSD/powerpc :-)

 > If there is anything I can do to help, I would be more than happy to
 > contribute.  I question whether the ISA/EISA VGA work will help the 425e
 > owners as there is no expansion slot in the machine.  For what it's worth,
 > here some info on the existing video chips if it helps.  The machine I have
 > uses the following RAMDAC chip:

...VGA support will do nothing to help the 425e folks.  And, there are
some 425t folks who would benefit from SGC support, since you could get
SGC for the 425t, as well (although, I don't think it was very common).

 > BT474KPJ85
 > RAMDAC
 > 198 9119
 > ES2

...perhaps Mike (Hibler, this time :-) could confirm if this is an SGC STI
framebuffer?  That seems to be the only SGC framebuffer supported by
Mach...

 > If there is anything else I can tell you about the machine or look up (I
 > have a crap-load of manuals on these things) or test or whatever, please
 > let me know and I'll be happy to assist!

You do!  Oh!  That is _very_ helpful... One of the _most_ important things
is to determine the address of the framebuffer (I don't know if it's the
same on the 400 as it is on the 700).