Subject: Re: ZIP Drive Image for NetBSD install problems
To: Jay Lovell <Jay.Lovell@bridge.bst.bls.com>
From: Wes Brown <wes@prozac.eeap.cwru.edu>
List: port-hp300
Date: 04/23/1997 15:57:32
> A couple of things I'd like to ask/find out.
>
> First, I'm real interested in finding out about your ZIP image of a
> bootable NetBSD system.  I've tried all the other install methods and
> all have failed.  I've tried loading SYS_INST from NFS via an HP Cluster
> Controller, dd'ing SYS_INST to a DAT tape, and finally dd'ing SYS_INST
> directly to the raw device of the future NetBSD Boot disk after
> attaching it to one of my running HP-UX boxes.  SYS_INST never worked.
> I'd get references to it during the boot process, but selecting it
> essentially locked up the machine (the DAT tape never even showed up in
> the boot menu).  At this point, your ZIP image remains my only hope of
> getting a working NetBSD system up and running.  I went out to your home
> page and the reference to the ZIP image got a not found error.  If this
> image is available elsewhere, I'd really like to find out where.

I am so sorry!  I forgot to update the index.cache when I changed the web
page.  Things should be working now.

The exact problems that you have been having is the reason why I created
this image.  Please tell me how it works for you as I can not test it on
many machines.

> Secondly, I've tried SYS_INST from both the 1.2.1 release as well as the
> 1.2 release and both have given the same error messages with the NFS
> method and the same "black screen" with the dd to disk.  Is there a
> known problem with SYS_INST that I'm not aware of (long shot)?  Is there
> another method of getting a marginal NetBSD system up and running that I
> could then upgrade (ie maybe dd'ing the miniroot file directly to the
> disk (guessing)?

Do you know if you have a supported video system?

> I've posted messages to the port-hp300 mailing list, but unfortunately,
> I haven't started receiving the feed yet so I can't see if there have
> been any replies yet.  My other source, www.flame.org, is only current
> through April 21st.  Any help or pointers that you (or anyone else)
> could send me would be gratefully received.
>
> Jay Lovell
> jay.lovell@bridge.bellsouth.com

Wes
---