Subject: ZIP Drive Image for NetBSD install problems
To: Wes Brown <wes@prozac.eeap.cwru.edu>
From: Jay Lovell <Jay.Lovell@bridge.bst.bls.com>
List: port-hp300
Date: 04/23/1997 12:52:30
A couple of things I'd like to ask/find out.

First, I'm real interested in finding out about your ZIP image of a
bootable NetBSD system.  I've tried all the other install methods and
all have failed.  I've tried loading SYS_INST from NFS via an HP Cluster
Controller, dd'ing SYS_INST to a DAT tape, and finally dd'ing SYS_INST
directly to the raw device of the future NetBSD Boot disk after
attaching it to one of my running HP-UX boxes.  SYS_INST never worked.
I'd get references to it during the boot process, but selecting it
essentially locked up the machine (the DAT tape never even showed up in
the boot menu).  At this point, your ZIP image remains my only hope of
getting a working NetBSD system up and running.  I went out to your home
page and the reference to the ZIP image got a not found error.  If this
image is available elsewhere, I'd really like to find out where.

Secondly, I've tried SYS_INST from both the 1.2.1 release as well as the
1.2 release and both have given the same error messages with the NFS
method and the same "black screen" with the dd to disk.  Is there a
known problem with SYS_INST that I'm not aware of (long shot)?  Is there
another method of getting a marginal NetBSD system up and running that I
could then upgrade (ie maybe dd'ing the miniroot file directly to the
disk (guessing)?

I've posted messages to the port-hp300 mailing list, but unfortunately,
I haven't started receiving the feed yet so I can't see if there have
been any replies yet.  My other source, www.flame.org, is only current
through April 21st.  Any help or pointers that you (or anyone else)
could send me would be gratefully received.

Jay Lovell
jay.lovell@bridge.bellsouth.com