Subject: Re: Apollo keyboard support (SYS_UBOOT)
To: mike smith <miff@spam.frisbee.net.au>
From: Jason Thorpe <thorpej@OG.ORG>
List: port-hp300
Date: 04/14/1997 00:56:00
On Sun, 13 Apr 1997 15:05:37 +0930
 mike smith <miff@spam.frisbee.net.au> wrote:

 > Here is a diff and a new file (hp300/dev/apcireg.h) to provide
 > support for Apollo keyboards on hp4xx machines in SYS_UBOOT.

most excellent!  I'm going to go play with my 425 _right now_! :-)

 > This is primarily for Jason's review, but if you have such
 > a combination I would appreciate any feedback you may have.

It looks fine, although I don't like how the apollo keyboard support
was folded directly into hil.c.  Instead, I'd prefer an indirect
driver that performed a primitive autoconfiguration.  That was easy
to do, and I whipped it up.  I'd like to just go ahead and commit
your boot block domain keyboard support if it's ok with you (I will contact
you out-of-band regarding the copyright issues).

 > Support for these keyboards as the console keyboard is
 > proceeding; I haven't had any feedback about wscons, so I
 > will be integrating the Apollo keyboard support into ite.

...sigh, I've been meaning to get back to you on that...

The short answer is "wscons isn't going to happen soon", so adding
support for the domain keyboard to ITE is the "right thing" (for some
definition of "right" :-)

However, if done `correctly', only _minimal_ changes to ITE will be
required.  I will forward you my current boot block changes that demonstrate
how it should be done in the kernel.

BTW, Mike, THANKS A MILLION for working on this!

        -- Jason R. Thorpe <thorpej@og.org>