Subject: Keymap stuff
To: None <port-hp300@NetBSD.ORG>
From: mike smith <miff@spam.frisbee.net.au>
List: port-hp300
Date: 04/06/1997 23:59:12
Writing the keymap handling code for the Apollo keyboard, I
notice that the current (HIL/ite) code is pretty disgusting.
(I can understand why, I was on about my fourth redesign before
I stopped to look at what I had to interface with. Yuuuck)

Jason, I _know_ you are waiting on the 'wscons'(?) stuff rather
than leaping in and mutilating the current console code.  Can you
possibly give me some sort of timeframe to go on with that wrt.
availability?  Is the code in the alpha port a reasonable
target to work towards? (doesn't look like it)

My basic concern is that I don't want to spend the time bending
the Apollo keyboard's output to suit the one-keyboard-only
vision that the ite code has (and bending the ite code to
handle more than one keyboard) only to discover that the
goalposts have moved.  Ite is yucky, but I don't have the
vision to do more than kludge it.

Also, the HIL keymaps do lots of :

char keymap[] = { NULL, ...

which is too gross for words.  And they they don't support
sending a nul (one 'l') for ctrl-space, so I can't imagine
how anyone could use Emacs on one of those displays.  So if
I _do_ get loose in there, I'm likely to be a shade brutal.

--
Mike Smith  *BSD hack  Unix hardware collector
The question "why are the fundamental laws of nature mathematical"