Subject: Re: more on the 400-series utility chip
To: Herb Peyerl <hpeyerl@beer.org>
From: mike smith <miff@spam.frisbee.net.au>
List: port-hp300
Date: 04/04/1997 09:31:56
Herb Peyerl wrote:

> mike smith <miff@spam.frisbee.net.au>  wrote:
>  > Someone made some noise about having documentation about these
>  > keyboards.  Herb?  I'd really like to try to work out what
>  > it's saying now 8)
>
> I can't find the code I once had to run those things... I once had
> a small piece of code that compiled into an rfc file that the apollo
> bootroms could load and blit characters onto the framebuffer from
> input taken from the keyboard through the 2681...

Dang.  Don't you have all the wonderful Apollo hardware manuals? 8(

> All i can remember at the moment was that they were 1200,e,7,1
> and in a sort of cooked mode by default with the mouse just spewing
> quadrature data through the same stream... There was a way to
> put the keyboard into a raw mode whereby you could detect keyup and
> keydown commands as well as dealing with the ALT key...  If all
> you care about at the moment is getting something legible out of
> it, then 1200,e,7,1 is your ticket.

Well, initially I've been leaving various bits of the UART as-was
configured by the PROM and looking at what comes back, in order
to work out how it configures things, extract the divisor settings
in order to figure the clock value, etc.  I'm in the process of
working out how to hang the keyboard off the serial driver without
having to come up with a hardcoded line discipline for it, which
struck me as being gross overkill (but by far the cleanest method).

> You'll want to talk to jason about how he wants to architect the
> official support for it.

Unsurprisingly, Jason has already snarfed the stuff 8)

> ok, so when can I use my soundblaster in my 433s?

I'm just trying to sort out the details of the damnned ISA memory
mapping in this thing (AIGH! they do ISA I/O protection by splitting
the ISA I/O space across multiple pages, only they used 4K pages and
NetBSD now uses 8K), at which point I will try my hand a writing a
'bus.h' file.  I have all the interrupt-handling details sorted; I
don't know if I can do ISA DMA though.

Then you'll have to pester 4front to do a port of OSS to
NetBSD/m68k 8)

--
Mike Smith  *BSD hack  Unix hardware collector
The question "why are the fundamental laws of nature mathematical"