Subject: Re: ZIP disk/domestic/bootstrapping...
To: None <rossspon@mindspring.com, thorpej@nas.nasa.gov>
From: Michael Lorenz <ml@persius.rz.uni-potsdam.de>
List: port-hp300
Date: 04/03/1997 09:21:20
Hello to all...

>  > Surprisingly, I have had absolutely no luck dd'ing onto a ZIP disk.  I
>  > dd'ed off all of the
>  > data, but I haven't been able to put it back on.  Any hints would be
>  > appreciated.
ok, I had a similar problem: in search of a way to exchange data between a Sun and a hp300, both running NetBSD 1.1 I tried to tar directly onto my ZIP drive... on the Sun it worked fine, I could untar everything at home on the hp but as I tried to tar from the hp I got no error message at all, the drive seemed to work but a tar tf on the ZIP revealed that no data have been written.

ok, thats no problem since the SPARC and the 68030 use the same 'endianness' I just disklabel the ZIP on the hp, write my stuff on it, go to the sun, disklabel it again using the same disktab entry and everything is fine, I just have to disklabel when I change the machine.

> ...hmmm, interesting.  I need some more information to sort this out:
>
> 	- The exact command you used to dd the data onto the disk.
tar cvf /dev/sd2a :-)

> 	- The exact error messages you encounter.
none at all :-(((

> 	- The output of both:
>
> 		disklabel sdN
> 		disklabel -r sdN
the Disklabel was fine ( 96 tracks with 1MB in it... )

> 	  ...where N is the unit number that the ZIP drive lives on.
>
> Hmm... sheesh, ZIP drives are so cheap, maybe I should go out and get
> one one fo these days...
It's extremely useful if your only connection to the internet is a 144er modem and you have access to another machine connected directly :-)

bye
Michael