Subject: Re: ZIP disk/domestic/bootstrapping...
To: None <thorpej@nas.nasa.gov>
From: Wes Brown <wes@prozac.eeap.cwru.edu>
List: port-hp300
Date: 04/02/1997 10:49:00
> On Tue, 1 Apr 1997 08:54:50 -0500
>  "Ross Sponholtz" <rossspon@mindspring.com> wrote:
>
>  > Surprisingly, I have had absolutely no luck dd'ing onto a ZIP disk.  I
>  > dd'ed off all of the
>  > data, but I haven't been able to put it back on.  Any hints would be
>  > appreciated.
>
> ...hmmm, interesting.  I need some more information to sort this out:
>
> 	- The exact command you used to dd the data onto the disk.
>
> 	- The exact error messages you encounter.
>
> 	- The output of both:
>
> 		disklabel sdN
> 		disklabel -r sdN

Disklabelling for the ZIP, now that was interesting.  What I did, since I
got lots of errors from the drive (something about retrying 1000 times.  I
can get exact errors later.)  What I did was brute force things into
working.  I took my HP-IB drive at rd0 and did:
dd if=/dev/rrd0c of=/dev/rsd1c count=3
This put a disklabel onto the ZIP cartrage.  Now I went in a put the ZIP
disklabel that Ross Sponholtz sent to me by using:
disklabel -e -r /dev/rsd1c

> 	  ...where N is the unit number that the ZIP drive lives on.
>
> Hmm... sheesh, ZIP drives are so cheap, maybe I should go out and get
> one one fo these days...

Would likely be a cool thing to have.

I will be testing the ZIP image that I have today.  I am trying to install
the entire exportable system onto one disk, but I may have to kill the
/usr/games directory.  (Maybe I can find one of those switches to not
install games like the EXPORTABLE_SYSTEM stuff)

I will write a some documentation on how to write this image to a ZIP
cartrage.  Mostly it is:
dd if=bootZIP of=/dev/rsd1c count=196608
and you have a bootable ZIP with m68k8k binaries.

Wes
---
Wes Brown
ewb4@po.cwru.edu		wes@prozac.cwru.edu