Subject: Re: SCSI disk partitioning
To: Wes Brown <wes@prozac.eeap.cwru.edu>
From: David Brownlee <abs@anim.dreamworks.com>
List: port-hp300
Date: 03/26/1997 11:53:09
Wes Brown wrote:

> I am working on a small problem here.  I have a 2 Gb Quantum XP32150 that I
> would like to connect to my hp300 running NetBSD.  I found the following
> information when the drive was still connected to my Mac:
> Blocks:      4 199 760
> Cylinders:       3 922
> Heads:              10
> Sectors/Track:     109
> Bytes/Sector:      512
>
> Now when the hp300 system boots up with the SCSI disk attached it reports a
> cylinder count of 3 907.
> sd0 at oscsi0 targ 0 lun 0: <Quantum, XP32150, 55D4> (SCSI-2)
> sd0: 3907 cylinders, 10 heads, 4199760 blocks, 512 bytes/block
>
> I was able to fill in the disklabel to this extent:
> # /dev/sd0c:
> type: SCSI
> disk: XP32150
> label:
> flags:
> bytes/sector: 512
> sectors/track: 109
> tracks/cylinder: 10
> sectors/cylinder:
> cylinders: 3907
> total sectors: 4199760
> rpm: 3600
> interleave: 1
> trackskew: 0
> cylinderskew: 0
> headswitch: 0           # milliseconds
> track-to-track seek: 0  # milliseconds
> drivedata: 0
>
> Now the sectors/cylinder should be simple math
> 4199760/3907 = 1074.93217302 ???
>
> So what do I do?

	Generally modern drives have a variable number of sectors per
	cylinder (more towards the outside of the disk), so the
	cylinders, sectors & tracks reported by the drive are just to
	keep machines 'happy'. Basically dont worry about it - just
	treat it as if you have a partial cylinder at the end :)
--
                David/abs               abs@anim.dreamworks.com

.---- I've been too drunk to love ----.-- I've been too drunk to
remember -.
|          too drunk to care          |    the hell of the night
before    |
|  looked like death, felt like hell  |   I've been drinking myself
blind  |
`------ been the worse for wear ------'-- and still I'll drink some more
--'