Subject: Shared X Libs
To: der Mouse <mouse@Rodents.Montreal.QC.CA>
From: Andreas Brusinsky <brusinsk@ibdr.inf.tu-dresden.de>
List: port-hp300
Date: 03/18/1997 15:19:32
I had problems with a complete build.
Some programs report this kind of error:
 /usr/X11R6.3/bin >xstdcmap
 /usr/libexec/ld.so: Undefined symbol "_SmcSaveYourselfDone" in
 xstdcmap:/usr/X11R6.3/lib/libXt.so.6.0

I could figure out that the function _SmcSaveYourselfDone is a member of
the SM library and that this and the Xt library are available and
'ldconfig'ured. I've rebuild the SM and the Xt library but neither
helps.
Matthieu Herbs wrote to this:
> This looks like the old dynamic linker problem that was present in the
> NetBSD i386 port for a while: it cannot find or handle the implicit
> dependencies on other libraries. Try relinking xstdcmap explictely
> with -lSM.

I dont whant to edit all Imakefiles.
I read once more your adds. And it rather seems to be a X11 problem.
The first build I have done was with  HasSharedLibs YES and the above
mentioned error came out.
Now I attempted to rebuild all with the SharedReqs out of your 'diffs'
and HasSharedLibs NO. But now ..
( #if HasSharedLibraries
  #include <bsdLib.rules> <-- woun't get included.
And the make World produces staticly linked binaries.
The programs do not produce the above mentioned error and work mostly as
they should but are 5 times bigger than the SharedLibs binaries.

There seems still to be something wrong with the Xnest server.
I opened this on another machine but a xterm -display :1 to it produces
this:
 xterm -display :1
 X Error of failed request:  BadLength (poly request too large or
 internal Xlib length error)
  Major opcode of failed request:  72 (X_PutImage)
  Serial number of failed request:  22

And xterm to a nonexisten server produces the right error message but
then core dumps what it shouldn't.

BTW what means the flag DDXOSINIT? Is it appropriate for hp300 too.

        Bye   Brusi

            by           ab2@inf.tu-dresden.de

          \____/