Subject: Re: Booting -current diskless?
To: michael smith <miff@spam.frisbee.net.au>
From: Jason Thorpe <thorpej@nas.nasa.gov>
List: port-hp300
Date: 03/17/1997 08:56:20
On Tue, 18 Mar 1997 00:35:01 +1030
 michael smith <miff@spam.frisbee.net.au> wrote:

 > The 970315 snapshot kernels boot just fine on my diskless
 > 425, but a kernel built from a sup tonight (970317) fails at :
 >
 > boot device : le0
 > nfs_boot: using network interface 'le0'
 > revarp failed, errno=51cannot mount root, error = 5

I just noticed this on my mvme-147 ... I believe it is related to the
new arp changes ... the error is ENETUNREACH, which is slightly strange :-)

 > and waits prompting for a device.  tpcdump shows me that it's
 > generating revarp requests, and the server is giving it a
 > response back.

...this is also the behavior I see on my 147 ... multiple requests
go out, becuse the replies "time out".

 > Is this an hp-specific issue, or are there other lists I should
 > be lurking on as well to keep up with this sort of thing?

"See above."  :-)  I definitely think it's the new ARP code, since
my kernel is pre-ifmedia that I committed last night (which also
changed the LANCE driver).

I'll see what I can come up with.