Subject: Re: xv dumps core
To: None <port-hp300@NetBSD.ORG, gelbard@ENGR.ORST.EDU>
From: Michael Lorenz <ml@persius.rz.uni-potsdam.de>
List: port-hp300
Date: 03/14/1997 09:48:16
Hi there...

> Heres what I'm doing, maybe someone can help.
>
> I've got
>
> hp380/425
> 32mb ram/16mb swap (small disks)
> 2 120mb rd7958 disks
>         rd0 has NetBSD 1.2
>         rd1 has X11R5         (from ftp.netbsd.org - thanx all)
>                 openwin_hp300 (thanx to the guy from germany).
>                 xv 3.10       (from .de site I believe)
>
> X is running in 1024 x 768 x 64 colors (ouch) on a 21" monitor.
>
> I'll start openwin - my defaults are for 2 xterm windows, and xload.
> I've got a bmp (from windows) that is 1.2mb or so of myself.
>
> xv will load it up fine, and I can view it full screen. But when I go to
> right click on the image to get rid of the file load window, X
> DIES with the following messages (retyped):
>
> XIO: fatal IO error 32 (Broken pipe) on X server ":0.0"
> XIO: fatal IO error 32 (Broken pipe) on X server ":0.0"
>      after 70 requests (49 known processed) with 0 events remaining.
>      The connection was probably broken by a server shutdown or KillClient.
> xterm: fatal IO error 32 (Broken pipe) or KillClient on X server ":0.0"
> xinit: connection to X server lost.
>
> and I get a file in my home directory called 'XhpBSD.core' of file
> size 1085724 bytes.
you're lucky, on my machine the corefile is size 0...
ok, the evil is neither xv or openwin, it's the X server, you just triggered one of it's many bugs... try another bitmap and it will possily work...
you could use an X-server compiled by me which just works around this bug ( i hope it is this bug ) which may be found on the same site as openwin...
the server is smaller because I didn't compile PEX in it and it won't (possibly) run on 68020 since I compiled it with -m68030. If nothing helps there is an old 4.4BSD binary lacking MIT-SHM support but runs (really) stable. I'll put it onto my server if someone needs it.

bye
Michael