Subject: Re: Web Browsers
To: None <port-hp300@NetBSD.ORG, gelbard@ENGR.ORST.EDU>
From: Michael Lorenz <ml@persius.rz.uni-potsdam.de>
List: port-hp300
Date: 03/14/1997 09:38:48
Hi there !

> I've got X up and running, and openwin mostly working (tis dumping core
> a lot, but I'll worry about that later).
that's pretty normal on an advances system :->

> I found Mosaic and Chimera for X. Both work OK, but I like neither
> because of the fact that they dont do the cool things Netscape does ;)
fetch me the sources for netscape and there will be a version for the hp300...

> I dont want plugins per say, just frames, tables, lists, tiled graphic
> backgrounds, etc.
I will fetch amaya and try to port it but the source releases were just incomplete...

> I recently just put my resume up on the web (tables/frames/lists), and
> neither will display it properly. Are there any better web browsers
> out there?
yes, but without sources.

> What is the possibility of using Netscape-3.01-HPUX? I was hoping
> to do a lot of web development on this HP (21" screen, etc), but
> if I dont have a web brower that supports all the cool HTML 3.0
> stuff, i'm sort of stuck.
the hpux-port of netscape is fr the 700/800 series which use the PA-RISC line of processors, no way for the 300s

> Yes, I realize that its 'better' to write only standard HTML code, but
> presentation is everything! I'd rather write things that look like they were
> done in page maker than in vi (well, i DO use vi to write web pages, but
> thats beside the point).
sorry, no source release to use for me...

> Is there anyway to convince Netscape Corp to compile a hp300/netbsd version?
> they already have a BSD version (386) and a Mac version (680xx),
> so I figure they could sorta slap em together :)
hmm, what about a kind of mail attack from the whole mailing list ?

bye
Michael