Subject: Re: Keyboards - what's the problem?
To: Petter Adsen <pead@kramer.fdse.comma.no>
From: Jason Thorpe <thorpej@nas.nasa.gov>
List: port-hp300
Date: 03/12/1997 01:15:18
[ Note, everyone should read this, since it contains info that everyone
  should know... ]

On Wed, 12 Mar 1997 09:14:07 +0100 (MET)
 Petter Adsen <pead@kramer.fdse.comma.no> wrote:

 > I just tried to install netbsd 1.2 on a hp400t, but got garbage from the
 > keyboard (HIL-device) when booting the miniroot. The install-docs state
 > that the
 > keyboard on models configured for Domain/OS won't work, but AFAIK, this
 > machine
 > has never even seen anything else that HP-UX, which is still on it.

The Domain/OS keyboard were very different, and are not even HIL devices.

The problem here is a bug that existed in NetBSD/hp300 1.2 what caused
a bad pointer reference if the keyboard language wasn't recognized.

(I'm assuming the keyboard in the boot code works.)

 > Also, if it is possible to get this machine to work with netbsd, hints
 > on how to
 > do so would be nice :-)

An up-to-date snapshot is what you need... however, there are two current
problems that I'm trying very hard to attack in my spare time (which is
hard to come by these days ):

	- SYS_INST does not write the disklabel to the disk properly.
	  I don't have any idea when this broke, and am currently
	  looking for the problem (but will have to sleep soon).

	- The miniroot doesn't currently built due to changes in other
	  system utilities.

I'm also trying to finish up the transition to m68k8k-format executables,
now that a serious bug in the boot block's srt0.s has been fixed (the bug
prevented kernels that were compiled with an 8k toolchain from running
once loaded).

The next snapshot I release will be an 8k snapshot, and will be the
recommended method for converting your systems to m68k8k.

...so, I'm just asking for a little patience - please bear with me.  I
hope to finish a large part of this work this weekend.