Subject: Miniroot loading impossible/slow
To: None <port-hp300@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Timo Giesselmann <gmann@on-line.de>
List: port-hp300
Date: 03/06/1997 00:00:50
Hi.

I am trying to install NetBSD on an HP400t via network.
3 computers are connected to the ethernet cable:

Name	IP
rolf	192.168.1.1	Linux PC used as NFS server
susie	192.158.1.2	NetBSD PC used for rbootd
kurt	192.168.1.4	hp400t, NetBSD to be installed on

Getting the SYS_INST from susie works fine, but I can not use susie
as the NFS server for the miniroot:

>> NetBSD MINIROOT INSTALLATION HP9000/345/375/400 CPU
>> $NetBSD: inst.c,v 1.6 1996/12/21 21:23:43 thorpej Exp $
>> Available commands:
>>     disklabel - place partition map on disk
>>     miniroot - place miniroot on disk
>>     boot - boot from miniroot
>>     reset - reset the system
>>     help - display command list
sys_inst> miniroot
Disk for miniroot? sd5
Source? (N)FS, (t)ape, (d)one > n
Name of miniroot file? miniroot-12B.fs
My IP address? 192.168.1.4
My netmask? 255.255.255.0
My gateway? 192.168.1.4
Server IP address? 192.168.1.2
Server path? /root/hp300/prerelease
le(0,0,1,0): Unknown error: code -1
can't open miniroot-12B.fs
sys_inst>

(I checked for the right paths several times.)
(Mounting directories from susie on rolf work fine.)

My workaround was to use rolf (Linux) as NFS server, so getting SYS_INST
from susie and then getting miniroot-12B.fs from rolf. This is extremely
slow. It takes more than an hour only to download the miniroot.

NFS connections between rolf and susie work fine with high bandwith in
both directions. Network cards for the PCs are NE2000 compatible.

After having installed BSD on the HP (loading the packages via FTP), I
can get NFS connections between kurt and rolf in both directions with
high bandwidth.

Can anyone tell me why I can't get a NFS connection between kurt and
susie for loading miniroot, and why the NFS connection between kurt and
rolf is so slow?
Do I have to provide additional information? Which?

Last but not least let me say that I appreciate very much the work that
has been done and is still done on the hp300 port. Though it is not much
more than a toy for me, it is very nice to be able to recycle the old
hardware, and get a very stable BSD system running on it.

Thanks,
Timo.