Subject: Re: Avail of tech. docs
To: None <port-hp300@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Peter Maydell <pm215@cam.ac.uk>
List: port-hp300
Date: 02/17/1997 10:26:16
Benjamin Floering wrote:
>> Specifically, I'm interested in the specs for HP-IB. I haven't found
>> anything out there on the web concerning this, but I may have skipped
>> something.
>You haven't skipped anything... I and various friends have been looking
>for months and the closest we have come are some relatively simple
>tutorials on IEEE-488.

You could also try getting the 9914 data sheet from Texas Instruments.
This is (I think) the IC that the HP (among others) uses to do GPIB stuff.
I haven't seen it (yet!) but I'd have thought that it would be quite
useful. It's not available on their WWW site (though that might change)
but it shouldn't be too hard (or expensive!) to get hold of.

In case you don't have this information already, one of my manuals (for
a PERQ workstation...) has an 8-page appendix on GPIB that includes a
rather odd handshake timing diagram...

BTW, am I right in thinking that the current NetBSD HPIB drivers assume
that the HP is the system controller? I'm interested in communicating
between two computers with GPIB (long term - TCP/IP over GPIB :-) ),
so obviously only one end could be system controller. My HP has a DIP
switch on the back which I think turns off SC status, but does the software
cope with this?

Peter Maydell