Subject: Re: patched gcc?
To: Stefan Schaeckeler <schaecsn@trick.informatik.uni-stuttgart.de>
From: Jason Thorpe <thorpej@nas.nasa.gov>
List: port-hp300
Date: 02/11/1997 14:42:12
On Tue, 11 Feb 1997 13:45:06 +0100 (MET)
 Stefan Schaeckeler <schaecsn@trick.informatik.uni-stuttgart.de> wrote:

 > I have a question about the cooles OS: netbsd -- hmmmm, maybe linux
 > is as cool as netbsd, and not to forget hurd and .... anyway:

Nah, NetBSD, by far... :-)

 > I have read some months ago that for netbsd1.1 the c compiler(gcc2.4.5)
 > was patched/modified. is this true? And what about netbsd1.2/gcc 2.7.2.
 > (at least compiling the original source of gcc2.7.2 makes a ,,diff''
 > with the distributed compiler (although they are compiled with the same
 > compiler, namely gcc2.7.2 itself). But maybe they were compiled with
 > different switches -O, -O2, -g etc).

The GCC in NetBSD-current is a _fairly_ stock gcc 2.7.2.  There are
a couple of changes, designed to suit our kernel build environment
(specifically, to deal with some kernel printf format extenstions that
we currently have, but are working to purge)... plus, a few bugs have
been fixed (sent to gcc maintainers).

It is possible to build NetBSD with a stock gcc 2.7.2.1 (I'm
cross-compiling NetBSD/powerpc from my NetBSD/hp300 systems, using
gcc 2.7.2.1 frobbed only enough to get CPP predefines and link specs
appropriate for NetBSD).  However, you cannot turn on things like
-Wformat, since the compiler will choke on our extensions.

 > My second question belongs not really to this mailing list, but maybe
 > someone here knows it:
 > Hurd is build on top of the mach kernel and since 680x0 are very common
 > processors I suspect that it exists for 680x0, too. So does anyone know
 > if there is effort to port hurd to hp300? Or are the hp300 just too
 > unimportant?

Hey, the hp300 is important!  :-)

Mach was ported to some m68k platforms at one time, but I don't know
whatever became of it.  I suspect that m68k CPUs are simply too
outdated for people to invest a lot of time in doing the HURD for it...
(Hey, they're having enough of a time with the just the i386 :-)