Subject: Re: patched gcc?
To: Stefan Schaeckeler <schaecsn@trick.informatik.uni-stuttgart.de>
From: David Brownlee <david@mono.org>
List: port-hp300
Date: 02/11/1997 14:06:24
On Tue, 11 Feb 1997, Stefan Schaeckeler wrote:

> hello
>
> I have a question about the cooles OS: netbsd -- hmmmm, maybe linux
> is as cool as netbsd, and not to forget hurd and .... anyway:
>
> I have read some months ago that for netbsd1.1 the c compiler(gcc2.4.5)
> was patched/modified. is this true? And what about netbsd1.2/gcc 2.7.2.
> (at least compiling the original source of gcc2.7.2 makes a ,,diff''
> with the distributed compiler (although they are compiled with the same
> compiler, namely gcc2.7.2 itself). But maybe they were compiled with
> different switches -O, -O2, -g etc).

	I believe the 2.4.5 in NETBSD 1.1 was quite heavily patched -
	the copy of 2.7.2 in 1.2 is closer to the original but I believe
	there are still some changes - to find out exactly what is
	different you can always diff the sources.

	The main gcc related problem (As far as I am aware) is that
	NetBSD uses an old, heavily modified version of binutils
	for gas, ld, etc. If someone had time to apply the necessary
	changes to the current binutils and then send them back to
	the FSF for inclusion in the next version that would be a
	very 'Good Thing' :)

> My second question belongs not really to this mailing list, but maybe
> someone here knows it:
> Hurd is build on top of the mach kernel and since 680x0 are very common
> processors I suspect that it exists for 680x0, too. So does anyone know
> if there is effort to port hurd to hp300? Or are the hp300 just too
> unimportant?

	I think you'll have to ask that question on the hurd mailing list
	(help-hurd@prep.ai.mit.edu), but I wouldn't go around calling
	the hp300 'unimportant' on this list :)

		David/abs	david@{mono.org,southern.com,mhm-internet.com}

Thought for : Loathing the way "Don't cry for me Argentina" has
  the day   : been bastardized by Madonna into a 'disco' song.