Subject: Re: SCSI
To: Elmar Kolkman <kolkmae@la1.apd.dec.com>
From: Jason Thorpe <thorpej@nas.nasa.gov>
List: port-hp300
Date: 01/22/1997 15:01:32
On Tue, 21 Jan 1997 11:03:20 +0100 (CET)
 "Elmar Kolkman" <kolkmae@la1.apd.dec.com> wrote:

 > I booted from a ICL 525Mb tapedrive (it said it is a WANGTEK 525 SCSI if I'm
 > not mistaking). Works great. OK, I've to get the miniroot by NFS from a LINUX
 > machine, but I don't mind. This all seems to work. Untill.... I boot.
 > It detects some of my hardware, until it detects the SCSI controller. Then it
 > hangs. And because I don't have any HP-IB drives (the one I got along with
 > the machine gave servo-faults), this is a bit anoying. I cann't do anything
 > about it. Or I could try to netboot it of course, but then I have to find the
 > Linux-rbootd (where is it ? Shouldn't it be on ftp.netbsd.org ?)

Ok...

	- "Hangs"?  Yow, I've never seen _that_ problem before.  I
	  guess it's having problems dealing with that tape drive.
	  Some older tapes may ... have problems.  Can you please try
	  unplugging some of the SCSI devices, starting with the tape?

	- The Linux rbootd; I had a pointer to it, and was going to
	  grab it, and see about merging it into the tree.  But, when
	  I went to get it, the server it was on was down.  I seem
	  to have lost the pointer, now.  Could someone please tell
	  me the canonical location of it, and I'll get to work on
	  it.  (Sorry, but the paper deadline I had sort of zapped
	  my brain...)

 > Now I've seen that Jason fixed some bugs in the SCSI code. If those would fix
 > my hangup too, I would like it very much, if there would be a pre-release in
 > the -current tree with this new SCSI-driver.

...well, I've fixed a few things in the sd driver, but not really the
scsi initiator driver, itself.  Or the tape driver.  I'm currently
working on making the hp300 port use new config for everything
(which is almost finished... have to debug some things in the scsi
code, and convert the hpib code)... once that is done, then it will
actually be _possible_ to rewrite the hp300 scsi controller driver,
and use the MI SCSI code.  I plan to have new config completed and
committed in the next few days (because another project I'm working
on in the machine-independent part of the kernel requires it :-)

 > > This is less of a problem when you realize you can't install off of SCSI
 > > tape anyway.  8-|.
 >
 > It worked for me, as long as I have a NFS server for some of the other data,
 > miniroot for instance.

Terry was referring to the fact that you can't load the miniroot off
tape.  This is because there is no standalone SCSI tape driver.  If
anyone wants to write one, I'd welcome the contribution.

ciao.