Subject: Re: hp300 problems
To: Werner Griessl <werner@btp1da.phy.uni-bayreuth.de>
From: David Brownlee <david@mono.org>
List: port-hp300
Date: 01/14/1997 16:45:48
> I installed a netbsd-1.2 on a hp360 and ran into few problems:
>
> 1. The generic kernel works only with an US-Keyboard, not with my
>    German keyboard.
>
>    Any solutions ?

	Well it has options for US, UK & Swedish keymaps.
	To add a german keymap my guess is you'll need to edit
	'/sys/arch/hp300/dev/kbdmap.h' and add the code for your
	keyboard, then edit '/sys/arch/hp300/dev/hil_keymaps.c'
	and add the mapping (just copy the nearest mapping to
	a 'de_{key,shift,ctrl,ctrlshift,string}map'), then edit
	your config file & recompile.

	Alternatively just modify us_{key,shift,ctrl,ctrlshift,string}map
	in '/sys/arch/hp300/dev/hil_keymaps.c' and then recompile.

	Either way if you use 'send-pr' to submit the new maps back to
	netbsd.org I'm sure someone will add them in for the next
	version (and any other German keyboard users out there :)

> 2. I need a Xserver for this machine, because the idea is to use the
>    machine as a XTerminal.
>
>    Can anybody point me to a (european prefered) location for a
>    hp300-X-package for this machine ?

	I believe people are working on an X11R6 server for NetBSD/hp300,
	but I understand they are suffering the usual time starvation
	at the moment :/
	There is an X11R5 server available at
	ftp://ftp.netbsd.org/pub/NetBSD/packages/binaries/NetBSD-1.0/hp300/

	(Would this be easier to find if it was moved into
	 ftp.netbsd.org/pub/NetBSD/arch/hp300?)

> please reply directly to me (werner@btp1da.phy.uni-bayreuth.de)
> because I'm not member of the list.

	No problems - its probably worth subscribing to
	port-hp300@netbsd.org - its not really a heavily loaded list and
	its full of people who can answer hp300 questions :)

		David/abs	david@{mono.org,southern.com,mhm-internet.com}

System Manager: Southern Studios Ltd, PO Box 59, London N22 1AR.
Satisfied User: NetBSD, free Un*x {i386,sparc,mac68k,+more} 'www.netbsd.org'.
  System Admin: MHM Internet, 14 Barley Mow Passage, Chiswick, London W4 4PH.
         SysOP: Monochrome, Largest UK Internet BBS - 'telnet mono.org'.