Subject: ZIP drive problems
From: Zadok <ml@rz.uni-potsdam.de>
List: port-hp300
Date: 01/07/1997 18:26:41
Hi there...

yesterday I tried to use my ZIP drive ( SCSI of course ) to bring the
NetBSD-1.2 dist. home to my hp. I thought about disklabeling it on the hp
and then later at the university use it on a SPARC IPX running netbsd 1.1.
first thing: the sparc didn't see the disklabel. ok, no problem, let's tar
the whole thing onto the raw device. worked perfectly. home on my hp it
reads happily from the drive, but then: it refuses to write directly onto
the disk ! disklabel / newfs worked, but I was unable to tar directly to
/dev/sd2c ... the strange thing about it: the SPARC happily did the job...
Is the disklabel-part platform-dependent ? I know, the sparc port uses
sunos disklabels, but what uses the hp ? I thought it were sunos ones too,
since I never found anything hp/ux like...
can anyone tell me how I could make the hp writing directly to the zip
disk ? or how to make a filesystem on it that both, the hp and the sparc
can read ?

may the spook be with you !
Jehova !
ML