Subject: Re: First-time setup
To: Simon Galton <galtons@candu.aecl.ca>
From: Jason Thorpe <thorpej@nas.nasa.gov>
List: port-hp300
Date: 12/20/1996 22:45:10
On Thu, 19 Dec 1996 12:06:16 -0500
 Simon Galton <galtons@candu.aecl.ca> wrote:

 > It doesn't seem to want to go to the tape.  I have some HP-UX boxes that I
 > could try to network boot from (I don't know how to configure the
 > /etc/boottab) and a few linux boxes (no rbootd for linux!)

... Couple of quick questions...

	(a) What kind of tape drive?

	(b) Did you tap the space bar a few times during the self test?

(b) this is how you get the BOOT ROM to scan the machine for boot devices.

 > BOOTROM Rev. 3.01 2 MAY 91
 > MD11 REV 3.0 1991/03/25.17:03:08
 > Bit Mapped Video
 > MC68040 Processor

[ . . . ]

 > HPA1659A at SGC slot 3 (Console)

UGH!  You seem to have a 425e.  This is ... not really good, since
the SGC bus is not yet supported by NetBSD.  Also, the 425e can't use
a serial console.

*sigh*

I guess I need to bump SGC bus support higher on my TODO list...