Subject: Re: XView and XhpBSD
To: Zadok <ml@rz.uni-potsdam.de>
From: Jason Thorpe <thorpej@nas.nasa.gov>
List: port-hp300
Date: 12/20/1996 22:34:43
On Fri, 20 Dec 1996 10:39:53 +0100 (MET)
 Zadok <ml@rz.uni-potsdam.de> wrote:

 > Hey, thanx !!! This server is:
 > - a lot smaller tham my old one ( about 500kB !!! )
 > - doesn't have the MIT-SHM extension :-(
 > - doesn't crash when I start the XView clock
 > - seems to operate a bit fasterand there seems to me some code that should
 > be imported into a X11R5 server source tree to compile a new server !
 > thanks a lot ! I'll try this, I think I have these sources somewhere on a
 > CD ( if you buy linux you get a lot of ftp-mirror-CD's... very useful even
 > for the hp :-)) ( sorry, but as I installed my PC I didn't know about
 > NetBSD ) )

It's smaller because it's linked against 4.4BSD libraries, which don't
have YP code in them, etc.  It's mostly a library difference.

The MIT-SHM bit.. 4.4BSD had SYSV shared memory... don't know why that server
doesn't use it... the comments in the file say it was for "HP-UX compatibility
and X server (yech!)".  *shrug*

The reason for it not crashing... Well... heh, this is amusing, actually...

You suggest that some source should be imported into the NetBSD/hp300
X server...

...well, the amusing part is... it's the same source.  I.e. the sources
used to build the 4.4BSD X server binary that works better are the _same_
sources that were used to build the NetBSD/hp300 binary that occasionally
loses.  (Well, a copy of them, anyhow...)

When I looked at the X server problems over 2 years ago, the only
difference I could really come up with was the compiler used to generate
the executables.

 > (to Jason: why not import this server into the hp300 X11 distribution ? )

Well, it's not a NetBSD binary... and, like you said, it lacks things
like MIT-SHM.  The annoying bit is, it is probably impossible to reproduce
that binary from sources anymore.

I would really much rather invest my, and have others invest their, effort
into doing a decent X11R6 server for NetBSD/hp300.  We're destined to
lose if we try to maintain an ancient 4.4BSD binary.